Adults: <4.3 pg/mL Reference values were determined on platelet-poor EDTA plasma from individuals fasting no longer than overnight.
Collection/ Processing Details:
- Diagnosis and characterization of diabetes insipidus
- Diagnosis of psychogenic water intoxication
- As an adjunct in the diagnosis of the syndrome of inappropriate antidiuretic hormone secretion (SIADH), including ectopic arginine vasopressin production.
1. Have patient fast and thirst for 6 hours (no liquids, including water, are allowed).
2. Collect 5.0 mL EDTA whole blood in an iced tube
3. Process specimen as follows within 2 hours of collection:
a. Spin specimen in a refrigerated centrifuge at approximately 1,000 x G (2,000 rpm for a 20-cm radius centrifuge) for 10 minutes.
b. Remove plasma, carefully avoiding the platelet/buffy coat.
c. Place platelet poor plasma in a Mayo screw cap transfer vial and freeze.
This test should not be requested on patients who have recently received radioactive material.