Respiratory care and sleep (polysomnography) careers
The goal of Allina Health is to lead the way toward the best possible care for individual patients. In a respiratory career, you'll collaborate with doctors and nurses to provide respiratory treatment to patients ranging from premature infants to the elderly:
- Respiratory care practitioner / therapist assesses, diagnoses, treats and educates patients with respiratory impairments as directed by a physician. Salaries for respiratory care practitioners / therapists vary. See U.S. Department of Labor Statistics.
- Polysomnographic technician / technologist performs comprehensive polysomnographic testing and analysis, and associated interventions under the general oversight of a sleep technologist and/or the clinical director. Provides comprehensive evaluation and treatment of sleep disorders. This may involve polysomnography, diagnostic and therapeutic services or patient care and education. Salaries for polysomnographic technicians/technologist are based upon their education and experience as it relates to the position.
- Respiratory care practitioner / therapist must be a graduate of an approved respiratory care program, have 1 to 2 years previous critical are experience, credentialed by the National Board of Respiratory Care as CRT or RRT (preferred) and current licensure within the state of practice.
- Polysomnographic technician/technologist: requires a high school (HS) diploma or GED, and completion of a polysomnography program, of no less than one year duration, associated with a state licensed and/or a nationally accredited educational facility and an accredited educational program leading to an associate degree with an emphasis in polysomnography, and certification by the Board of Registered Polysomnographic Technologists as a registered polysomnographic technologist or equivalent.
Programs offered in Minnesota and Wisconsin
- Minnesota: The College of St. Catherine, Lake Superior College Northland Community & Technical College, St. Paul College
- Wisconsin: Chippewa Valley Technical College, Madison Area Technical College, Mid-State Technical College, Moraine Park Technical College, Northeast Wisconsin Technical College, Western Technical College
Sleep specialists at Allina Health Sleep Centers have the expertise and equipment necessary to diagnose and treat sleep disorders.